Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So Cal Sectionals Recap

Yup, I've been a bit MIA with my posts. Things got busy with Centex and Sectionals. Plus, I got a bit wary of further alienating UCLA with my personal musings. Apparently, they have taken my words as being insulting. I hope that the BLU folks understand that I was only playing up the UCLA-USC rivalry and it was all meant as good fun. I thought making fun of their threads and calling them the Westwood Smurfs was fair game, but I guess I took it too far (one of my special talents). The fact is that I have a ton of respect for UCLA (past and present) and all that they have accomplished in the past six years, and my hope is that the bulk of my writing has reflected that. As one of the top programs in the division, they are going to draw their fair share of attention and criticism. That said, if I have caused any hurt feelings over there, I apologize.

Pool Play

Our schedule was eerily reminiscent of last year's schedule when we started off with Cal Poly-SLO, faced off against Irvine in the next game and finished the day with a big showdown against Santa Barbara. The only difference was UC San Diego-B in place of Redlands. The more things change...

I hadn't really seen SLO all year, but they were pretty much the same team that I remember them being last year. They don't have Rock anymore, but they have a bunch of solid if not spectacular players who have a good understanding of the game. I didn't see Jessup on the sidelines so I don't know if he's still coaching SLO Motion, but they did have someone else helping them out. Unfortunately, I don't get much of a chance to meet the other team since the Hellions have adopted the spirit circle in lieu of slapping hands and exchanging good-games after our matches.

We followed up our SLO game with a match against Irvine. We hadn't seen them this spring but they remain a very familiar team to us. Iris Leung and Annie Ngo are two of their standouts and you would have to be Charles Manson to not like the attitude that they bring to the game. Like Cal State Long Beach, I think Irvine is a ripe place to develop a great program. I'm ecstatic that both Irvine and CSULB are going to Regionals; programs like theirs are vital for growth in the region.

Our last game of the day was against Santa Barbara. This was an upwind-downwind game and UCSB got the first upwind break of the game. We worked the disc upwind on the next point to regain the advantage but UCSB returned with another upwind score and grabbed the momentum in the game. They pushed the advantage with the downwind half and produced another upwind break en route to a 4 point run that led to a 7-3 halftime score.

We received going upwind to start the second half. Both teams held serve scoring five upwind points in a row. This was particularly impressive since the wind was definitely a factor. We finally broke UCSB for the first downwind score of the half to close to 9-7. The soft cap was on and we battled UCSB on a critical point where the Burning Skirts worked against our zone for 53 throws in a row. Their patience finally broke about 10 yards out when one of their younger players turn the disc near the sideline. Our D line was gassed and unable to generate disc movement. We gave the disc back to UCSB after a couple of throws and they put it in the end zone for an easy score. At this point the game was virtually out of reach and the Burning Skirts seized the moment by finishing us off with an upwind score.

By and large, I think we've developed a fun rivalry with the Burning Skirts. It has certainly been one-sided, but the gap is closing. I do really like the bulk of UCSB's players and have tremendous respect for both Steve Dugan and Jenny Hanscom. That said, there is still an ugly element on the Burning Skirts that bothers me. I think it is limited to a few players, but I feel like there are a few that carry a superiority complex and negative attitude towards us. These players are likely the same ones who hate the spirit circle. That's fine and dandy if people hate things like that, but I can't support acting like you are okay with it and then snickering about it later. If that sounds hateful on my part, check out the title of my blog. I am a snakehead eating the head of the opposite side.

Bracket Play

In the semis, we matched up against UCLA, and it was pretty clear from their vibe during and after the game that they were none too pleased with the stuff on this blog. Sigh. I've come to the realization way too late that I have to watch what I say more closely because I don't know this generation of BLU very well.

Personal feelings aside, I hope that everyone can appreciate that this was a good game where both teams played well. I'd be curious to hear Korb's take, but I thought the game basically came down to two critical points. After we took half, we were on serve for the first couple points. I think it was 10-9 when we had the first really good break opportunity of the half. We worked the disc to within five yards of the end zone and called a time out. Based on how both teams were playing, I think we would have won the game if we had scored this goal. UCLA played some very tight defense and forced us into a high stall count turnover.

After they evened the score, they found themselves with a golden opportunity when we had an unexpected drop in our own end zone. Our end zone defense was up to the challenge and after the first few looks were shut off, I think it was Danger who looked to make a swing pass to Megha Shah (best name in the entire women's division). Bambi had the inside position and read the cut well to get what appeared to be a block. Megha called a foul that I am convinced would have been overruled immediately by any observer. If anything it looked like Megha had fouled Bambi in trying to get to the disc.

There's of course no guarantee that we would have scored on the next possession, but I think the game essentially came down to this moment. UCLA maintained possession and scored on an upline cut. With the wind being a pretty big factor, this break was huge. When BLU got to game point (12-11), we did produce one hell of a fight to get the do-or-die upwinder. I think we generated at least four turnovers and had two decent upwind possessions. In the end, BLU's defense and the wind were just too much to overcome. BLU wins 13-11.

On a random note, one of the low points of the game (or unintentionally high point depending on your perspective) occurred in the first half when BLU was up one upwind break and we worked up the field to put it in (or close to in) the end zone. Korb and I lined up on the end zone to debate whether a USC player (Kate Schlag) was in or not. Neither one of us had any business involving ourselves in the discussion and probably looked like tools. One thing Korb and I share is that we are masters of unintentional comedy. We ended up continuing the point and scored on the next throw.

Our next two games against Long Beach and Claremont were blowouts where fatigue on the other side pretty much guaranteed a win for us. Both are much stronger teams than the scores would reflect, but the lack of depth is a big issue for them and remains a factor in their hopes of doing well at Regionals.

I was able to see UCLA and UCSB play a bit from our field. UCSB had been up a couple of upwind breaks in the first half, but UCLA fought back to regain the advantage. The Burning Skirts had a number of uncharacteristic drops that gave UCLA additional chances to score. Andrea Romano was out for UCSB (foot injury?) and certainly impaired UCSB's ability to handle in the wind and stretch the field downwind. Kudos to BLU though for winning Sectionals and ensuring the top seed at Regionals.

As UCLA and UCSB were duking it out in the finals, Claremont and UCSD were locked in a tight affair that was arguably the game of the tourney. In the rematch or their pool game (the first of which was won by UCSD), Claremont had been up by four points late in the game (12-8, I think). UCSD stormed back and looked like they could do no wrong with five straight points. Somehow, Claremont sucked it up and found a way to score the next two points. Bayliss, Carny, Krump and Baken all factored in heavily as they took out the Psychos and further muddled the picture for Regionals.

I'll be posting again soon with predictions for this weekend's Regionals.

2 comments:

Yuriy said...

Good luck at regionals!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!